Sausages Rougail from Réunion Island
Baking — 30 minutes
Preparation — 30 minutes
Servings — 4
- 6 Dalisa sausages (Toulouse)
- 4 large tomatoes (or 8 Italian tomatoes), diced
- 1 1/2 medium onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric power
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon of Massalé spice blend
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 bird pepper
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of long grain rice
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Cook the sausages in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat olive oil. Add diced onions and minced garlic cloves. Cook until colouration.
- Cut the sausages in ½ inch pieces and add them in the saucepan. Add diced tomatoes, turmeric, ginger, massalé spice blend and bird pepper (be careful with the pepper as it can be very spicy).
- Stir well and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- In another saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add diced onions and let colour. Add salt, pepper and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Mix in rice, stir and reduce the heat. Let simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.